A funeral service is a ceremony that has been passed from generation-to-generation, and is like other ceremonies that recognize a significant event in a person's life such as a wedding, graduation or baptism. The funeral ceremony recognizes the final event in a person's life and offers loved ones a chance to say a last goodbye, an important part of the grieving process and human experience. Traditional services include a period of mourning following a death in a family; there are arrangements for viewing of your loved one and a funeral service. Burial usually follows at a local cemetery. Funeral directors at Walnut Lawn Funeral Home will assist your family in making the funeral service unique and a celebration of life ceremony for your loved one; this may include a certain theme such as a favorite hobby, music, sweet, remembrance, military, or even a specific color.
Traditional packages include:
Funeral service in our chapel, church, or special place
- Traditional Services with Burial in a Cemetery
- Graveside service
- Traditional funeral service followed by cremation
- Direct Burial
- Military Services
There are different services that you can choose for a loved one’s burial, depending upon your individual needs and preferences:
- Immediate burial means that your loved one will be buried or entombed without a public service or gathering.
- Visitation, also called a viewing, wake, or calling hours, allows family and friends to gather in a room with the departed loved one in an open or closed casket and say goodbye or offer their support and sympathy to the bereaved.
- Funeral or memorial services can take place at a funeral home, in a church, or even at your home. The service is a ceremony which serves to celebrate, honor, and remember the life of the deceased. Whether traditional or unique, both the visitation and the funeral service can be personalized to reflect the individuality of your loved one. For more information, visit our page on personalization.
- Graveside, chapel, or committal services are held at the cemetery, and allow family and friends to be present as their loved one is transferred to his or her final disposition through ground burial.
Cremation may be your choice for final disposition. We maintain our own cremetory, therefore, your loved on will remain in our direct care at our facility during th entire process. The biggest misconception about cremation is that there can't be a funeral service or visitation. This is absolutely not the case, and we encourage you to consider holding a memorial service to celebrate the life of the deceased as well. There are many options open to you when it comes to honoring your loved one's life. After the cremation and memorial services, there are a variety of choices for your loved one's final disposition:
- Interment means that you'll bury or entomb your loved one's cremated remains. This can be in a family plot, a memorial site, a cremation niche or urn garden, or in a variety of other indoor and outdoor locations. Ask our staff for a detailed list of interment possibilities.
- Graveside services are similar to those celebrated alongside a traditional ground burial, in which loved ones are present at the burial of the cremated remains and honor the deceased through memorial prayers or other meaningful tributes.
- Scattering allows you to spread your loved one's cremated remains in a memorial garden, a cemetery, over water, or across any other meaningful site. You also can choose to scatter some of the cremated remains and retain the rest in an urn for interment or another form of disposition.
- Placing cremated remains in multiple urns allows family members who are separated by distance to each feel the comfort of having their loved one's final resting place in a nearby location.
Cremation packages include:
- Basic direct cremation
- Cremation with memorial service at funeral home, cemetery, or special place
- Traditional funeral service with rental casket and cremation after
Cremation speciality items:
- One-of-a-kind urn bearer for services
- Large selection of unique beautiful urns
- Cremation jewelry